Public Relations Representative
Generates media coverage for Visit Orlando programs and events with a focus on the U.S.; Leads Florida media relations and works with other media targets as assigned; primarily supports Domestic Sr. Media Manager and projects, as needed.
Major Areas of Accountability:
- Assists journalists for all markets to drive positive media coverage for Orlando, working closely with the Sr. Media Manager. Activities include story research, development of materials, pitching, coordinating interviews and assisting with photography and b-roll requests.
- Serves as the lead for media relations within Florida (excluding local), creating/updating media lists, developing media materials, pitching stories and coordinating press trips to achieve consistent media coverage.
- Screens all reactive media inquiries and makes recommendations for appropriate assistance; handles requests when assigned.
- Coordinates group and individual press trips, film shoots working to obtain transportation, accommodations, attraction passes, meals and interviews as needed. Serves as host for journalists when needed.
- Acts as main distributor of electronic communication of press releases on wire services and posting to other relevant portals.
- Maintains, updates and monitors the media website as well as communication vehicles and communication channels including the image library and b-roll library.
- Liaises with external Visit Orlando members to gather ongoing information pertinent to publicizing the destination including press releases, press kits, fact sheets, photography and b-roll video.
- Drafts press materials, various content and other written communications as assigned.
- Works with Global Communications partners to develop and maintain databases/lists of key stakeholders.
- Assist in the planning and execution of media related events such as press conferences, preview dinners, etc.
- Serves as the Communications team expert for SimpleView, providing assistance and training to other team members and consistently identifying new ways to use the system to create greater efficiency, reporting levels and communication. Pulls reports as needed, as well as building new reports and working with the development team to both troubleshoot and brainstorm new functions our team would benefit from.
- Identifies and keeps the department apprised of industry and member news and trends.
- Assists in the implementation of programs and plans to support Visit Orlando’s marketing and membership goals as needed.
- Assist Sr. Media Managers in managing interns, teaching and coaching them through various PR skills, assigning them regular tasks, pulling them into projects and running weekly meetings to review workload and answer questions.
- Works with team to create entries for Communications awards, tweaking submissions to fit each award and submitting entries by deadline.
- Works with cross-functional work teams as assigned.
- Assists in preparation of department reports as needed.
- Ensures protection of the Orlando and Visit Orlando brand. Serves as a Brand Ambassador.
- Ensures own work area is maintained in a safe and clean manner.
- Performs other accountabilities and projects as assigned.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university and 4 years related experience, internships and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ideal candidate is an excellent communicator (verbal and written) with strong organizational skills and a drive to meet deadlines; possesses a pleasant demeanor and enjoys being part of a team; and is interested in the communications industry and pursuing it as a career path.
Intermediate skill level with MS Word, Outlook and PowerPoint . CMS experience is a plus.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization. Additional language skills are a plus.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Candidates must be located in Orlando. There is no relocation assistance available for this position.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements and does not imply a contract.
If you would like to apply, please send your resume to Human.Resources@visitorlando.com
VISIT ORLANDO MISSION AND CORE VALUES
Our mission is to inspire, promote and grow global travel to Orlando for economic and community benefit. Our Core Values are: (1) WE INNOVATE: We are free to be curious and to create what we imagine. We go beyond delivering what works, we deliver what’s next; (2) WE TRUST: We are stewards of the resources and experiences entrusted to us. We show up for each other and our community. Trust is our currency; (3) WE WELCOME: We are diverse by nature and inclusive by choice. Everyone belongs here; (4) WE SERVE: We are dedicated to serving our community and each other. Service is our superpower; (5) WE “ORLANDO”: We create moments that matter and have a blast doing it! Fun has no height restrictions.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Visit Orlando wants to assure you of its continued commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and community and that we are taking additional measures to protect you, your coworkers, and your families from contracting and spreading COVID-19. We highly encourage all of our team members to be fully vaccinated. Due to this, you will be asked about your vaccination status at the time of any offer extended.