Director of Public Relations
Creates, manages and implements campaigns and media relations tactics to strategically generate positive publicity for Orlando, members and Visit Orlando in various consumer, local/corporate and trade outlets. Directs the day-to-day activities of the public relations team.
Major Areas of Accountability
- Provides day-to-day oversight of and direction to the public relations team including outside agencies. Also works with the team to problem solve and develop new effective and efficient procedures.
- Develops creative and comprehensive publicity programs to maximize global coverage of the destination.
- Provides the leadership and implementation of publicity campaigns domestically and internationally. Manages campaign, program and event budgets.
- Provides oversight to all PR to agencies ensuring outside contractors are following all company guidelines and procedures including travel and purchasing policies. Ensures contractors are performing as contracted, timely and accurate in reporting and billing, etc.
- Oversee the development of publicity-specific content including various news releases, presentations, newsletter copy and speeches to promote Orlando, Visit Orlando and Visit Orlando membership.
- Manages local media relationships and news generation to elevate the perception of Visit Orlando and the tourism industry in the local media.
- Provides insight and direction to integrate publicity efforts throughout all departments of the organization.
- Conducts media development trips and attends trade shows in select cities to have a face-to-face meeting with editors to enhance relationships and discuss various story angles.
- May serve as a Visit Orlando spokesperson when primary spokespeople are unavailable.
- Arranges interviews with key Visit Orlando staff, drafting key messages and talking points to ensure executives are prepared.
- Stands in for Vice President of Communications as needed for presentations, meetings, etc.
- Monitors market for hospitality, travel, PR and social media trends.
- Oversees the reporting for all markets of items pertinent to DMAI metrics, budget variances, strategic plan goals, objectives, department performance, etc. in a timely manner.
- Manages relevant program budgets, ensuring programs are conducted within budget guidelines, noting and reporting monthly variances.
- Ensures staff development, empowerment, training, etc. in a relevant and timely manner.
- Assists member partners to develop and enhance their own marketing efforts through education, seminars, consultation and other appropriate techniques.
- Ensures protection of the Orlando and Visit Orlando brand. Serves as a Brand ambassador.
- Leads the selection process for outside vendors.
- Performs other accountabilities and projects as assigned.
Supervision of Others
Manages team of six.
- Direct reports: Public Relations Senior Managers (3)
- Indirect reports: Public Relations Associate Representative (1), Public Relations Representative (2)
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university and minimum 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of three years experience managing a team with multiple direct reports.
Must have working knowledge of and experience with Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Must have experience with multiple social media platforms, and integrating traditional publicity ideas with a social component.
Exceptional written communication skills a must including knowledge of A.P. style and experience writing media materials including releases, alerts, pitches, etc.
Exceptional verbal and presentation skills including ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
Spanish or Portuguese is a plus.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Travel required. Potentially 2 - 4 domestic and international trips per year.
Candidates must be located in Orlando. There is no relocation assistance available for this position.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements and does not imply a contract.
If you would like to apply, please send your resume to email@example.com
Visit Orlando Mission and Core Values
Our mission is to inspire, promote and grow global travel to Orlando for economic and community benefit. Our Core Values are: (1) WE INNOVATE: We are free to be curious and to create what we imagine. We go beyond delivering what works, we deliver what’s next; (2) WE TRUST: We are stewards of the resources and experiences entrusted to us. We show up for each other and our community. Trust is our currency; (3) WE WELCOME: We are diverse by nature and inclusive by choice. Everyone belongs here; (4) WE SERVE: We are dedicated to serving our community and each other. Service is our superpower; (5) WE “ORLANDO”: We create moments that matter and have a blast doing it! Fun has no height restrictions.