Orlando Travel & Tourism - Fast Facts
Travel and Tourism is one of the largest industries in the U.S. with a significant impact on local, state and federal government budgets as well as employment. Orlando's Travel and Tourism industry is the largest single employer locally and accounts for approximately 40% of the states Travel and Tourism employment.
Travel and Tourism is Orlando's largest industry
- Generating nearly $31.7 billion in domestic and international visitor spending in 2011
- Directly generating $7 billion in local and state tax revenue
- Each Orange County household would pay an additional $6,000 in taxes without revenue generated by the travel and tourism industry
Travel and Tourism is Orlando's largest employer
- Travel and tourism in Orlando employs nearly 370,000 directly and indirectly
- 1 out of every 3 jobs in Orlando is travel and tourism related
- Travel and tourism employees wages exceed $14 billion a year
Travel and Tourism brings the World to Orlando
- 55 million people from around the world visited Orlando in 2011
- More than 51.3 million U.S. residents travelled to Orlando in 2011
- Orlando hosted 3.8 million international visitors in 2011
- On any given day, Orlando may have an additional 380,000 people in the destination
Travel and Tourism is one of America's largest industries
- Generated $1.8 trillion in economic output, with $759 billion spent directly by domestic and international travelers that spurred an additional $1 trillion in other industries
- Directly generated $118 billion in tax revenue for local, state and federal governments
- Each U.S. household would pay $1,000 more in taxes without the tax revenue generated by the travel and tourism industry
- Direct spending by resident and international travelers in the U.S. averaged $2 billion a day, $86.6 million an hour, $1.4 million a minute, and $24,000 a second
Travel and Tourism is America's largest services export industry
- $134 billion in travel exports (including traveler spending in the U.S. and international passenger fare payments to U.S. carriers) and the...
- $103 billion in travel imports (including U.S. resident spending abroad and international passenger fares paid to foreign carriers) creates...
- $32 billion in balance of travel trade surplus for the U.S.
Travel and Tourism is one of America's largest employers
- Supported 14 million jobs, including 7.4 million directly in the travel industry and 6.7 million in other industries
- 1 out of every 9 jobs in the U.S. depends on travel and tourism
- Generated $188 billion in payroll for those employed directly in U.S. travel
Source: IHS Global Insight & U.S. Travel Association