If bling is your thing, Walt Disney World's Marathon Weekend race medals are show-stopping masterpieces to show off. More than 17,700 Mickey-shaped medallions were handed out at the event last weekend, as runners finished their 26.2-mile course through the Happiest Place on Earth, including all four Walt Disney World theme parks and the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.
Fredison Costa, local resident, won the marathon with a time of two hours, 23 minutes and 15 seconds, or about as long as it takes to watch Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. Giovanna Martins won the women's title with a time of two hours, 48 minutes and five seconds; that's 26.2 miles covered in the time it takes to watch Cinderella twice!
Disney isn't the only place offering a fun run in Orlando. The destination attracts thousands of runners each year with a variety of inventive, one-of-a-kind experiences for all training levels. The year ahead includes a lineup of entertaining challenges like:
- The Orlando Xtreme Half Marathon on Saturday, February 18. Easy on the knees and full of natural beauty, this off-road race takes you through some of Orlando's peaceful, untouched wilds.
- The Disney Princess Half Marathon on Sunday, February 26. Have you ever wanted to run in a tutu, or even a full princess dress? Then this is the race for you, as your favorite Disney Princesses cheer you along!
- The Best Damn Race - Orlando on Saturday, March 4. Designed for runners by runners, this one comes with all the perks: a shirt, medal, goodie bag, free food & beer and even a free massage.
- The Star Wars Half Marathon - The Dark Side on Sunday, April 23. Let the Dark Side flow through you as storm troopers and even Darth Vader himself urges you forward.
- The Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon on Sunday, November 5. All the fun of running at Disney, with the bonus of celebrating your awesome race time at Epcot's Food & Wine Festival. YUM!
- The OUC Orlando Half Marathon on Saturday, December 2. Tracing around beautiful Lake Eola and through downtown Orlando neighborhoods, this race is a piece of Orlando history. Locals come out to cheer on runners, and the race ends with a relaxing celebration of food and drinks.
- Upcoming Half Marathons within 25 miles of Orlando, FL
Download the Visit Orlando Mobile App
Now there is a new way to put Orlando right at your fingertips. Download our free Mobile App for your personalized Orlando experience. It's the best way to navigate Orlando. Download it today from iTunes Store and Google Play.
Related Categories: Attractions & Theme Parks, Sports & Recreation