Enjoy this special post by syndicated travel writer and mom, Eileen Ogintz:
We moms know the dirty little secret of family vacations: They're no vacation for us, especially when young kids are part of the equation.
Here's how to make sure you get a much deserved vacation break:
1. Go off on your own for a few days with friends. Come to Orlando for spa, shopping and good eats. (Pictured below: The Waldorf Astoria Spa by Guerlain)
2. Invite grandparents along so you have extra hands-and eyes-on the kids. But if you're planning a trip with the in-laws, discuss beforehand exactly how much they're willing to baby-sit and who is paying for what.
3. Join forces with another family. Not only can you share costs for that vacation condo or cottage and food but you can share child care chores and the kids have built-in friends. This is an especially good bet for single moms.
4. Bring along your favorite sitter. Let her (or him) entertain them while you steal an hour to yourself!
5. Hire a sitter for a few hours or evening. See if the resort or hotel has an employee list of approved babysitters. If you have friends in the area, ask for their recommendations. Sign the kids up for the hotel's kids' program (even several Disney hotels have them). Even if you only go so far as the hotel restaurant or the adult pool, you will still get a break.
6. Negotiate "just me" time with your significant other: you get an hour to sleep in while they get the kids fed; you watch the kids at the pool while he plays golf.
Most important, let go of the guilt! It's your vacation too.
To read more family travel tips from Eileen, visit takingthekids.com.